Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Test

"OK. Jane--you come up and try. One chance."

"Yes, ma'am."

This is the second time in as many weeks that Ms. Pryor has asked me--and others in the dojang--to come up in front of the class and break two boards with a jump reverse kick. Everyone's standing there, watching. I go to the front.

I really want to break these boards. This is the break I want to do at the test. I know I can do it, but I . . . haven't . . . yet.

I line up, breathe, focus. Then ki-hap and jump into the board. No break.

Just like last time.

She calls up student after student. "One chance." But no one has any better luck. That happened last time, too. (After class the last time I stopped June. "Hey, thanks for not breaking. It made me feel better," I joked.)

Ms. Pryor wants us all to be able to break without practice, first time. I know I can do it, but I think I'll need a practice kick at a pad right before. Of course that's not really allowed at a test.

Brian offered to buy me some boards and saw them up so I can practice.

"No. I still have the boards you cut for me before," I tell him.

"You should bring them in and practice."

I suppose I should.

No comments: