Thursday, January 12, 2006

Happy Birthday, Master Hughes!

Word must have been spread about Master Hughes's birthday and our celebration. When I got to the dojang Wednesday evening, there was a celebratory feeling in the air. A good crowd of children and adults milled around, and a number of parents were watching from the back.

Justin put me to work immediately, giving me the card to take round and have signed by everyone.

"He saw the cake," Justin told me.

"That's OK," I said. "It doesn't have to be a surprise."

Master Hughes had on a new red uniform today and was in high spirits (isn't he always?) He ran the class this evening, beginning with heavy-duty stretching. I can DO stretching, but because I didn't have a chance to warm up before class, I am hurting today!

At the end of class, Master Hughes gave a brief pep talk, encouraging the black belts to be involved and responsible, reminding us that he wanted our school to be involved with more tournaments.

Justin then brought up the cake.


"OK. Shall I run the gauntlet?" asked Master Hughes.

Everyone cheered and lined up in two lines.



We all enjoyed cake together.
It seemed like we have been needing a gathering like this. Things have felt slow at the dojang recently. Ms. Pryor hasn't been around, the holidays meant lots of people were out of town, and the numbers of students in classes has been small. I hope that this party--and the ad for the local paper Master Hughes showed me after class--will get our momentum going again.

No comments: