Saturday, October 08, 2005

Post-exam

I should probably not write a blog entry so soon after the test. (I got back about 30 minutes ago).

I have noticed that after exams I feel a bit let down.

Still, the guys took off soon after I got home ("I did OK," I hinted, after no one inquired about the test), so might as well write a bit while it's quiet.

Good things
I had extremely good focus during the test. I felt very focused and sure during basic moves. Master Hughes yelled out a "good, Jane" as we stood in a side-kick position, balancing (the balance muse was with me today). I felt like there was an impermeable bubble around me--I could see what others were doing, but my focus was contained.

We kicked pads while our black belt testers held pads. Jeanne liked my jump front snap kick. I got a "good job, Jane" for that, too.

My ITF form, Wan Hyo, went very well. I was in between Heidi and Aimee, and we all did it together. I didn't forget or miss anything.

I sparred Jim--an intense brown belt (yikes). Despite being a bit intimidated after a few seconds, I came back with some reasonably good kicks. I think I might have scored one or two on him.

I also held my own against Heidi, who is, in a way, a more difficult opponent because she is my size.

Not-So Good Things
Right before Palgwe 4 (adults were doing Palgwe forms), I reminded myself that Heidi, to my left, would be doing Palgwe 3 and that I should not be distracted. But as we started, she accidentally began to do Wan Hyo! It was her mistake, but it threw me, and I was off for the rest of the form. :-(

I couldn't break with one of my favorite kicks, the jump front snap kick. I hit that board hard three times, but it didn't break. Master Hughes had me break with the jump reverse, and that took 3 times as well. And I got a nasty heel cut: a breaking wound. :-(

Jeanne asked me if I knew how many movements were in Wan Hyo. I had no idea. Actually, I don't really care. I also was pretty weak at counting in Korean, and I do care about that.

Solace
Rather than just handing me a band-aid, Brian A. bound up my breaking wound. "You need some tape on this, too," he said, putting tape over the band-aid. I wasn't sure I needed the tape, but I let him take care of me.

Back in the locker room, we all kvetched about the non-breaking boards. I told Pam I was reassured when she couldn't break hers. "I figured if YOU couldn't break it, there must be something weird with the boards," I said.

Pam told me that she loved to watch me do a jump front snap kick. "You've got great form," she said.

I told the women in the changing room that I figured when we don't break on the first try, it turns into a test of our indomitable spirit.

I walked out of the building with Brian and Matthew. "How'd you do?" I asked Brian. "I'm still here," he said. "I guess we'll get rid of these green belts on Wednesday." Now that's sensible.

For his part, Matthew darted around like a little TKD sprite. He showed me the cans he'd collected for the 5 cent deposits (a whole pile on the floor of the front seat of Brian's Jeep) and assured me that yes, his dad's car was REALLY fun to ride in especially with the top down!!!

It's a good thing to have TKD friends--they can lift a person's spirits, even after a tough test.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when the boards are new and "green", they are difficult to break because they are not dry enough.
Other times, however, I'm convinced that the breaking gods and gremlins have decided that no one will have an easy break that particular day --
Congratulations on your test!
Kicker Chick