Monday, May 02, 2005

Correspondence with a Master

I have received two bits of correspondence from a nationally known Master Teacher, Dr. Terrence Webster-Doyle!

I wrote after visiting the website to find out if his organization ever sent out people to do seminars on Martial Arts for Peace. At first he e-mailed me to say he'd forward my note to his daughter, and then he sent me another e-mail recommending I look at some of his teaching materials. He'd looked at this blog, and I think he gathered that our dojang might not be ready yet for a Martial Arts for Peace seminar.

Although our school is very much dedicated to the education of the whole person, and to practicing the tenets of Tae Kwon Do, he may be right. I did write about my hesitations in my most recent post, and the mention of "Superfoot" seemed to set off an alarm to Dr. Webster-Doyle.

I think, though, that I may share my "Respect" book with Master Hughes, see what he thinks. It might be a slow process, getting people to think about TKD a bit differently, but I don't think our philosophies are so far off the mark. Maybe we could incorporate more conflict-resolution teaching in our classes. We? Maybe I'm getting a bit bossy here!

At any rate, I am willing, on my own, to find out more about this approach and to share it with my colleagues at our dojang.

No comments: