Sunday, May 01, 2005

Martial arts for peace

Seems like an odd title. Isn't martial arts about fighting?

I don't see it that way, as you can tell from my blog.

I found another prominent person who thinks learning martial arts can help bring about a more peaceful world, especially for children.

I finally visited Terrence Webster Doyle's website, martialartsforpeace.com. I've been meaaning to give it a look since I read his book One Encounter. It seems that he's developed some teaching methods that he offers to people to help children learn how to resolve conflict peacefully. One mentioned several times is telling the children the 3 Ps.

Prevent a fight from happening by avoiding it.
Prepare to use your brain instead of your fists to resolve it.
Protect yourself by learning how to fight so you don't have to.

There's much more, of course, because none of that is easy for kids or anyone else!
I wonder if our dojang would consider inviting him or someone to give a seminar. I think Master Hughes likes the more flamboyant types, like this Superfoot character, but it seems that MAFP fits with the tenets of Tae Kwon Do that we say at every class. (And after reading Webster-Doyle's critiques of some martial arts schools which are extremely fighting-oriented and militant, I am glad to be where I am).

I suppose I could share the info with Master Hughes. But how far would people be willing to go with stuff that's not actually related to what goes on at promotional exams? I wonder.

No comments: