Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Dojang Newsletter

I've taken on a new job: editor (and writer) of the dojang newsletter. Master Hughes said he wanted a newsletter and I am only too glad to do that. I'm glad to be able to help out in a way that doesn't take me away from home more often! I wrote this month's newsletter at the office on my usual freelancing day.

Despite the fact that our society is so electronic, I think it's nice for people to have something on paper to remind them of the school. Our newsletter has a feature story, upcoming events, column from Master Hughes, and list of classes, along with a few other tidbits.

I'm curious about how others communicate with the groups they belong to--does your martial arts club (fishing club, drama club, youth group, choir, etc.) have any kind of way of staying in touch, creating goodwill, and reminding people of upcoming events? An email list? A website? A newsletter?

What works for you?

2 comments:

Colin Wee said...

I'm trying to put together a webzine for a group of martial arts clubs. My idea was to get their clubs to modify their 'newsletters' which predominantly consists of upcoming events, to include snippets of 'other' information.

I'm working with a few clubs from mainly 5 States. I've grouped them into 3 main groups. Each group has to pick between three different topics per month:

1. Beliefs: Spirituality. Philosophy. Myths.

2. Workshop: Techniques. Strategy.

3. Musings: Personalities. Social. Biography.

My idea wasn't to create a flash webzine, but to have something intimate and close-to-the-ground. Check out a draft at http://www.hikarudojo.com/iaomas/list.htm

Colin

Keri said...

Hello-
I just found your site. I teach for a Parks and Recreation program. We just have announcements after each class of upcoming events.