Saturday, October 14, 2006

Testing while Ailing

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and headache. I wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, but it was test day. Gotta get going.

I've tested while not feeling great before, but it's usually been injuries, and slight ones. I couldn't decide today whether I should take something like Sudafed. Decided against it--I didn't want to feel doped up.

Seems like when you really put your mind to it, adrenaline and determination can pull you through most situations, even when you're not feeling up to par. That's how I got through the test today. I layed off ki-happing and rested all muscles whenever we stopped. I managed to get through my form and sparring, even landing a few 2-pointers on Jason, not an easy feat.

I was a bit worried about breaking, though. "Why don't you break for me?" I'd asked Brian earlier. It's one thing to spar and do a form, another to gather up the focus and strength one needs to break a board when you're feeling off.

So I just stuck to last test's hand techniques: palm strike and reverse elbow. Those worked fine. And I stayed with my most recent plan for the foot technique: two boards with a flying side kick. After a few attempts (and some needed advice from Ms. Pryor), I nailed that one, too. Kind of fun, actually :-)

Now I'm home, looking forward to a restful afternoon. Maybe I'll just go have a little lie down . . .

2 comments:

TKD Rocker said...

Just curious, what is your belt order and how often do you guys test? Does the time in between tests get longer as you move up in the ranks?

Miss Chris said...

Glad you made it through your exam. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.