Thursday, October 05, 2006

Movie Recommendation

I saw a movie yesterday right after TKD class. I'd strongly recommend that you see it if you haven't yet.

No, it's not Fearless--I haven't seen that one yet.

I'm recommending An Inconvenient Truth. Maybe you've already seen it in the theatre. If you haven't, you need to see it.

I know, I know. It's that stiff Al Gore and a bunch of charts and graphs. Sounds deadly dull. But actually, Gore is way more relaxed, animated, and appealing in this movie than he EVER was when running for office! And the charts and graphs are very dramatic, and enhanced with cool computer effects. There are also maps, video clips, and the Simpsons.

What I liked most about the film was the way Gore took scientific, technical information and translated it so that ordinary people could understand.

But you don't just understand the basic facts after watching this movie--you understand the gravity of the situation. And you understand what must be done--this is no doom and gloom and despair kind of film. He ends it by saying that "we have all the technology to stop global warming. We just need the political will to make it happen."

As Gore points out, global warming presents a moral and ethical challenge to us. What we do--or don't do--about it will affect billions of people.

My children, ages 9 and 11 went to the movie, too. They were interested and inspired. "I'm going to tell my science teacher about it tomorrow," said Robbie.

Please, please see this movie--even if you don't like Al Gore, even if you usually vote Republican! Global warming isn't a partisan issue. And if you can see it with a group of interested friends, and have a chance to talk afterwards, that would be great. It's being screened for free all over the place now.

And if you see it (or saw it) let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found your weblog while searching for 'gave my belt exam with broken', linked from someone elses page. My yellow belt test is tomorrow, and I've hurt my toe badly day before yesterday...might be a hairline fracture! So I was looking for some inspiration on the web :). I haven't read all of your posts, but I found your early posts very enjoyable and am amazed by how much you have accomplished.

I haven't seen Inconvenient Truth, but I did see Fearless. I liked it.