Monday, May 15, 2006

Revenge as teaching?

OK readers. So far, two people have told me that I should be the one to "teach Jason a lesson" for clocking me in the nose, and that the lesson should involve hitting him back, in the face or in another . . . tender . . . area.

So I want to know: is this appropriate?

And more importantly, would "getting him back" keep him from doing it again--to me or to others?

My intuition says "no." I don't think he meant to kick me in the face. He doesn't have enough control to do that.

If he does have that kind of control and meant to kick me in the face, would "getting him back" keep him from doing it again? It makes me think of my boys, fighting. "This is what it feels like!!!! (whack)" But maybe that's what works with testosterone-based life-forms. Or in TKD.

Anyway, any additional thoughts from you blog readers? Post, e-mail, or talk to me in class.

3 comments:

TKD Rocker said...

TKDmom, I would go with your intuition and not "get back at him". If it isn't something that will still bother you five years from now, then it isn't worth fighting over. Even Jesus tells us to "turn the other cheek". Although that is probably just meant symbolically, it can also be taken literally. Just be the bigger person and let it slide. But if he ever does it again, and it seems to be purposeful, then talk to him about it.

Anonymous said...

We're often reminded that although we're learning a dangerous martial art, the dojang is supposed to be a place where we can trust our fellow students to not deliberately hurt us. I agree that you should not strike back. However, you must warn Jason that he needs to work on his control. If he doesn't seem to take your advice to heart, speak to an instructor or a blackbelt he respects and have he/she warn Jason.
In my school, there are a few teen students (male) who have control problems. If they've been warned and don't heed the advice, they may get whacked during sparring with a senior blackbelt, or they will not be allowed to participate in sparring until they can demonstrate control.
Kicker Chick

Anonymous said...

From knowing Jason since he started, he has always lacked control and doesn't listen well when being corrected, especially during forms. Of course, I was the exact same way at his age and belt level, it is something that he will most likely grow out of quickly. If it ever happens again while I'm teaching I'll make sure to talk about to him and the whole class.