Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Small warrior

During Passing of the Peace in church Sunday, I turned around to see 10-year-old Alosha and his Dad, Marty. I was glad to see them, as I'd heard Alosha had recently gone to some sort of martial arts tournament.

We greeted each other, and I told him I'd heard he'd been to a tournament and asked what kind of martial arts he practiced.

"Tae Kwon Do," said Alosha.

"Oh really!" I exclaimed. "I do Tae Kwon Do, too!"

"Are you still active, or did you do it in the past?" asked Marty.

"I just started in January,"I told them. "I'm a low green belt."

"I'm testing for my double tip black belt next week," said Alosha.

I'm not sure what that means. Must be a different belt system than the one we use.

"Alosha won a silver medal in sparring at the tournament," said his proud dad. "That means he's second best in the country!"

"Is sparring your favorite thing?" I asked.

"Yeah," said Alosha smiling.

"Mine, too," I told him.

Alosha said he takes class 5 times a week at the Y! Wow. No wonder he was able to win a silver medal.

"Well, I guess you better watch out for Jane," said Alosha's dad.

"I think I'm going to watch out for Alosha," I said, smiling at him. He smiled back.

No comments: