Monday, July 18, 2005

Frank's story

On my way out of class on Saturday, I ran into Frank on the stairs. I actually almost literally ran into him--he was moving very slowly.

"I'm not sure I should have done that biking before class," he said.

"Did you bike to class?" I asked.

"No. I rode from here to Lisbon this morning," said Frank. "It took me a bit longer than I expected.

I was impressed. Lisbon is about 15 miles away.

"Wow. You must be a real biker!" I said.

"I've only had that bike for about two months," he said. "I turned 50 this year and I decided I wanted to be in the best shape I've ever been in. So I started Tae Kwon Do and got the bike. I've lost 30 pounds so far."

I liked the "in shape at 50" idea. Kind of like what I did when I turned 40: my youngest went off to kindergarten and I started ballet. Then TKD. I started both because I like to do it, but I'm getting in shape, too. I think I'm in the best shape I've been, too.

Frank looks like he's in pretty good shape. He's very tall, over 6 feet easily, and lean and muscular. Seems like his plan is working.

No comments: