Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Tournament Practiceand Intensity

Class Monday night is all about tournaments.

We begin by hearing about how our students did at the big tournament in the Quad Cities last weekend. Many people won trophies (1st, 2nd, and 3rd got trophies).

Our workout today was basically practice for our tournament this weekend. One chance to do our form, perfectly. Breaking practice (with pads, not boards). Combination kicking.

Some moms I don't know well are there: Nick's mom Jean and Maverick's mom--don't know her name. Stacy is sitting on the sidelines with a sore knee.

Maverick's mom says she might come help out at the tournament. "I figure we need to be there to help," she says. Stacy talks about getting her board filled (when you go for your black belt as she is, you need to have the school's black belts watch you do your forms and sign a board to show you've done well). Aimee is there, too--she went to the Quad Cities tournament and will be in our school's tournament.

It all makes me think about my own approach and committment to TKD. It is certainly not that strong. I do like it, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to make it the first thing in my life (or even the third, after teaching and my family). Ballet comes before it, as does writing. Can I still continue and improve with this attitude?

Ms. Pryor often says that different people may want different things out of learning martial arts. What do I want? Can I get what I want out of it at the level I'm now working?

No comments: