Thursday, May 24, 2007

Last Post?

Dear blog-readers:


I wanted to let you know that I am going to take a break from the Tae Kwon Do Mom blog.


I have loved keeping this blog over the past 2 1/2 years. It's been great to share my story about becoming a student of the martial arts and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.


It's the story aspect of this blog that I've so enjoyed. Lots of people think of blogs as on-line diaries, but I've never thought of Tae Kwon Do Mom that way. It's been a story, with a focus, conflict (peaceful and wimpy middle-aged woman learns a combative sport), plot (will she get a black belt?), and, of course, really interesting characters. There's also been research (those hyper-links and quotes from books, etc.), photos, and your wonderful comments, too.


There have been some side-stories along the way, too--my children quitting TKD, the time Eli got hit by a car, my parents' deaths, and Robbie's rejoining TKD. I've loved having readers to share all that with!


But another thing a story has is a beginning, a middle, and an end.


I feel like I've come to an end with this blog. I'm not sure, but I think maybe.


Getting a black belt isn't necessarily an end for any martial artist, but it does provide some closure to the story of this blog. And my son rejoining this spring brings me back full circle (you may remember that my children started TKD before I did).

Now that I've achieved that closure, some of the necessary tension is gone from my blog's story-line. There are still moments of frustration and puzzlement for me in my training in TKD, but not enough to drive a plot. My blog is starting to feel like an on-line diary. That may (or may not) be interesting to readers, but I'm not sure I want to continue it.


I'm taking a break to think about this. Maybe I'll come back to this blog, maybe not. At any rate, it will stay posted here on blogspot.

I'm not going to quit Tae Kwon Do. I had no idea it would come to be such an important part of my life--I'll keep doing it as long as I can; maybe I'll see some of you at tournaments!

Of course I'm going to keep on writing--my usual free-lance stuff, posts on KarateForums, emails to many of you, my writing notebooks . . . and maybe once the blog is done, another big writing project will arise for me. I don't know.

Maybe I'll even make this blog into a book (or "blook" as they call it).


So thanks for being part of this TKD/writing journey. And if you want to stay in touch through email, drop me a comment and let me know your e-address!

I'll always be . . . .
Tae Kwon Do Mom.

17 comments:

TKD Rocker said...

Whew, it's been quite a journey, hasn't it? Ever since the first post I read about Eli getting hit by a car, I've constantly been checking your blog for updates - it's a bit addicting, really. I understand the need for you to move on and let this story be, but I'll certainly miss checking your blog when I'm supposed to be taking notes in Biology. :P I think that I will continue with the odd post to my blog (mine has always been sort of an "online diary" anyway) and I hope that you will continue to add in your two cents where it's needed. Of course I'd love to keep in touch with you! I have your e-mail address already and I think you have mine (if not, I just sent you a new poem of mine, so you can add me in). Best of luck with TKD - keep me posted on how you and Robbie are doing and thank you for giving me a new and exciting perspective on martial arts for the past 2 1/2 years!

Anonymous said...

Hey TKD Mom!
Thank you for sharing your "story" with us. You presented a wonderful and real slice-of-life look at the life of an adult female martial artist. I've enjoyed getting to know you, and I hope you'll post again whenever the mood strikes!
Kicker Chick

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you decided to do a "blog" like the one you just did the last 2 years.

I've responded to another one of your comments but I didn't include my email address and thought I wanted to this time. I feel like I know you from reading your writing.

I read how another person does his address so he's not spammed so removed the spaces from my address to write me too.

I'd appreciate any incouragement from another 40 something Mom.

address: the black belt @ att.net

Carmen said...

I hope you still get notification of comments, even though it's now Sept 2009.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experiences. After searching for articles and info on women taking TKD, I came across your blog a couple weeks ago. I finally finished reading all your entries.
I've wanted to take martial arts since I was in elementary school. In June, my son and I started taking TKD (olympic style) through our park district. I love it. Similar to you, I've also taken dance previous to TKD and am starting a bit later in life compared to the majority of TKD students (I'm 34). Right now there's only 2 other adult students in my class.
You're blog is just the type of reading I was looking for :) I hope you're doing good in general and you're still continuing with TKD.
Thanks,
Carmen
frito_bandita @ yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your story

Paul
www.defencecourse.com

sg said...

yeah agreed getting a black belt means the start of acquiring better skills

Enid said...

I am going to save your blog. I was traying to start a "tae kwon do mom" blog but you have the name already, so I decided to do "taekwondomomtofive" in blogspot as well.
Hope you can come and visit!

Daneil Fletcher said...

Erkin Bekbolotov compares korean and american tae kwon do

Benn said...

Good luck with your other ventures! A hiatus is a good thing, makes you missed the fun parts.

taekwondo sparring gear said...

Although I wasn't following your story all along, I've gone back and updated myself and I must say you are an inspiration to us all. Hopefully you might update this one day for your followers and fans!

I wish you well!

Thanks

Anonymous said...

It`s 2011 now and so long since read your blog! I decided to reread it recently as I`ve always found it a source of inspiration and just so very well written! Going from ballet to TKD myself I found it interesting to read some of your observations! Recently our TKD club has made this video so I thought I might drop it off here on the off chance you would see it :D Just something to share :) Cheers everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfOpIElLxE

Kenneth Gibbons LLC said...

I love this blog. It demonstrates how age does not matter and you can continue TKD for life. Great Blog. Thanks,
Ken

Alexandra said...

Hi. I just came across your blog looking for self-defense information. You are definitely encouraging for women who are intimidated by martial arts! Regards from NJ

Laura said...

Hi there,
I just came across your blog today, funny, at this last post about you stopping for a while. I have such a similar story, and it is great to read when you immediately connect with the person, like they are you.
My son and I earned our black belts this past December and I saw that at one chapter closing, while being very excited about what the next might be.
I started my blog, wrote my book (Living, Healing and Taekwondo - coming soon!) and generally lived out the taekwondo journey. And I am definitely in a place of "What's next?" Of that I am not sure.

Here is my contact info - would love it if you would do an essay for my new website: Check out the Warrior Wisdom categories - and tell me what you think.
www.taekwondospirit.com

Laura
taekwondospirit2012@gmail.com

Colin Wee said...

It's time to start blogging again, don't you think? 5 years has been a long enough break.

Colin
Traditional Taekwondo Techniques

hollster9 said...

I was googling martial arts blogs, came across yours, realized we have a similar story, and was sad to see that I was reading the end of your blog! I started Taekwondo in 2004 after my children....I ended up taking over the school with my husband...my kids quit after awhile...and we're still going! I'll have to read some of your posts, they sound interesting! Feel free to go to www.ellsworthata.com , check out my blog. I write from the view point of an instructor and hit on a lot of topics around parenting, community service, leadership, and the life skills you learn through martial arts! I'm always looking for guest bloggers...hint hint

Oliver said...

I use to learn taekwondo, and it not just about strength and skill, it was about respect and indomitable spirit.