Saturday, August 05, 2006

Where we're going . . .

Monday night--or maybe it was Saturday--the whole class was working on difficult kicks. After a while, Ms. Pryor called the black belts over to the back. She stood on a chair, held out a pad, and had them run up and do a jump front snap kick.

I remember looking at them and thinking: I don't want to do that.

Later, Chelsea broke a board with an awe-inspiring speed kick. But although it was awe-inspiring, I was thinking: is that what black belts do? Not interested.

I've seen lots of Inspirational Posters with variations of this message:

Life is a Journey, not a Destination.

For me, that's the way it is with TKD. Though I certainly know when my black belt test is (Feb. 2007), but I'm really more into the day-to-day learning of things. But sometimes I wonder about my destination.

Recently, TKD has seemed like a sport: competetive, athletic, physical. Destination: victory. What I want to learn is a martial ART, an art that's physical, creative, spiritual, graceful. I'm not really interested in learning a sport.

Do I have some say in where I'm headed as a martial artist?

No comments: