Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Teaching

I'm not going to be in town Saturday, so I decided to go this Wednesday. And instead of going to all-belts at 6 (and miss dinner with my guys again), I went to the kids' class at 4:30. I figured I'd do forms with any adults who might be there--or help teach if I needed to.

When I got there, Brian was up in the front teaching. There was a small group of kids--maybe 10 or so. I helped out, giving individual attention when necessary, helping a visitor learn some kicks, keeping the sparring going, finding mitts for those kids who didn't have any, etc., etc.

I decided that it's hard to do sparring with kids. Most of them don't really know what they're doing--they look every which way, don't get close enough, or, on the other hand, they hit each other too hard. I tried to keep a few of them focused . . . but it was tricky!

Brian and I ran through our forms after class--another problem with teaching is that you don't get the same degree of workout. But we solved that problem!

No comments: