Sunday, September 24, 2006

Tournament: the short report

Yesterday's tournament was exciting, satisfying, and frustrating, in turns! I have photos that I would like to post, but I'll have to do that from my computer at the college--my computer at home has a broken . . . plug-in thingee (sorry for the technical terms).

So here's the brief version:

I accomplished my tourament goals, which were:

1. Meet other women my age who are doing TKD. I made it my goal to introduce myself to women who looked like they were my age. There were a nice group of us--about 10 or so "Senior Women" (35 and up) colored belts, and we had a good time together! Photos and more details later.

2. Be a good representative for our dojang. Besides introducing myself to people, I tried to use my best etiquette (I even coached some of the senior women on etiquette in the ring), be a good sport, and help out when needed. I even got to hold boards and time/keep score during a sparring match!

3. Win at sparring. I love sparring. I wanted to spar and do well. I did!--I got a first place in sparring! Only regret: Ms. Pryor and Master Hughes had left by that time, so they didn't see me.

4. This one was added after I had trouble breaking Wednesday--Don't get injured breaking. I didn't. Nor did I actually break. More on that later, too.

I will post a fuller account with illustrations, soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, ma'am! You did a great job!
I just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you (and all of the rest of the terrific senior women)! Thank you for sparring with me -- I needed the lesson! One of these days I'll learn how to block...

I hope to see you (and the others) again at other tournaments in the future. It was really, really wonderful to see so many wonderful women working so hard on the art and having such a good time doing it.