Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Heat Wave

Still hot here, enough to make it hot up at the dojang even with both air conditioners going. So Monday night, we were all drenched with sweat after our workout, and there wasn't even sparring.

I did work on a few things:

1. My reverse kick. I have trouble with those, especially more than one in a row. "I think I'm doing an outside pirouette," I told Brian. "I'm going all the way around instead of stopping half way to kick."

I think what I need to do again has to do with my feet. Going from a horse stance, facing the side, I just need to turn that front foot about 1/4 of a turn (to toes-pointing-back) so I can execute the kick without swinging my body past the target.

2. The "W" block in Toi-Gye. Mr. Carter had Brian look at mine while I did them. "They look like "U"s, not "W"s," Brian said. Mr. Carter suggested just bringing my fists out further from my body.

Master Hughes later added that I needed to drop my elbows so that the angle was sharper. Oh! That makes sense. Hope I can remember.

3. Brian and I went over our forms and step sparring after class. I don't remember the last time I practiced step sparring.

No comments: