Thursday, June 15, 2006

Performance

"So, what I'm asking you is, would you be willing to do a short dance piece for tomorrow?"

It's 6 in the evening and one of the people in my small group at the faculty workshop is in my room.

"Yes," I answer her. "I'll do it. But you have to teach it to me!"

So the next morning, there I am, demonstrating a dance for our small group. No problem.

I'm not sure I would have always felt comfortable doing this. I've always had a bit of performance anxiety. I don't like to be a "soloist," I always said. It makes me nervous to be in the spotlight; I don't really like the idea of having everyone watching me, expectant.

That was one of the things I wanted to work on in martial arts: to learn focus and concentration and confidence in performance, especially in solo performance.

I think I am growing in that area, becoming more confident, able to focus, less nervous. That will be good for many aspects of my life.

No comments: