Thursday, March 30, 2006

Too much?

A friend heard about my varied activities (ballet, TKD) and said to me: "How do you have time for all that?"

When people say this (and I've heard it more than once!), I sometimes feel a bit guilty, like there's something else I should be doing with my time.

So after she said that, I figured out exactly how much time I spend.

TKD--2 classes a week @ 1 hour each, plus 1/2 hour each time for stretching, practicing forms. Total: 3 hours/week.

Ballet--2 classes a week @1 1/2 hour each. Total: 3 hours/week.

So I'm spending 6 hours a week on physical activities. Is that a lot? More than that "1/2 hour a day" recommendation from . . . some agency.

I justified it this way to myself. I don't watch any television. I figure that most people watch, oh, maybe 2 hours a day? So I'm saving my TV-watching time and spending it on TKD and ballet. Plus, I don't pay the $65/month cable fee and can spend money on my lessons.

So there.

2 comments:

TKD Rocker said...

I definitely agree with you there. I usually spend 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours at tkd per week, and I try to go to the gym on the days that I'm not a tkd, plus I'm a full time student and take voice lessons for one hour a week. It seems like a lot, but if you manage your time well (and it sounds like you are), then its perfectly fine to spend that much time on physical activity.

Anonymous said...

DON'T LISTEN TO THE NAY-SAYERS TKD MOM!
Answer these: Does your time at TKD and ballet make you feel better about yourself physically, emotionally and psychologically?

And does feeling better about yourself make you a better mother, wife, teacher, sister and friend?

Better TKD and ballet than prozac or Dr. Phil! Keep kicking!!
Kicker Chick