Saturday, March 25, 2006

TKD and books


This post comes to you from the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago. My professional conference, the Conference on College Composition and Communication, is here this year, and I'll be presenting a paper with a student in just a few hours.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the conference is visiting the Exhibit Hall, where publishers bring books for us to look at--textbooks, scholarly works, books about writing, novels, poetry, whatever they think we might want to use in our classes. I told one publisher I was spending more time buying books than I was attending panels! Not quite true, but . . .

I found a really cool book yesterday: Dojo Wisdom for Writers by Jennifer Lawler.

Yes, that's the same Jennifer Lawler who has published books about Tae Kwon Do, and her dojo is really the dojang!

This is what the back cover says:

When black belt Jennifer Lawler first started training in the martial arts, she never imagined that learning how to kick people would teach her how to become a more accomplished and successful writer. But soon she discovered that the skills she was honing in the dojo--how to focus, stay disciplined, and persevere--would also help her realize her dreams off the mat.

There are chapters like "Find Your Teacher," "Keep the beginner's mind," and "Smile when you spar."

I'm looking forward to reading it, even though I am a bit miffed that someone wrote this book before I did!

No comments: