Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Another art?

There's a discussion thread going on at one of my favorite websites, Karateforums.com, about what makes black belts stay at a school . . . or leave.

Actually, I began the thread. "If you've stayed, what keeps you there? And if you've left a school, why did you leave," I asked.

Many responded in this way:

We had a few leave to train in other arts. Myself included (I'm not a BB yet), but I came back. I still cross-train though.

I notice, too, that many of the people who post on this website list other martial arts besides Tae Kwon Do, like Jujitsu, Tang Soo Do, Song Moo Kwan TKD. I don't even know what most of those are!

When I began martial arts, I had this idea that I would like to try different ones. The Jade Tiger Dojo's demonstrations at the Ren Faire were fascinating--they do Japanese martial arts like aikido with its graceful sweeping moves and throws. The uniforms are beautiful, too.
Here's what they wear for both Aikido and Kendo (swords). The flowing pants are called Hakama.
Problem with Aikido, of course, is that you have to fall down to do it. Maybe it would be good to learn how to fall correctly. Maybe then I wouldn't worry about it.

Jade Tiger also teaches samurai sword--at the Faire, they did forms with the sword, and test-cutting.


In the Karateforums discussion many people mentioned weapons training as a little something extra that might keep black belts at a school. That sword stuff is very beautiful. Maybe I'll want to learn it someday.

No comments: