Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Getting out the door

It's Tuesday afternoon, and I'm really sure that this time we won't be late for Tae Kwon Do. I'm getting the gym bags ready, getting the drinks ready.

"Come on guys. Time to go to Tae Kwon Do!" I'm feeling optimistic; it's 10 minutes before the time we usually leave.

The guys amble down the stairs and swarm around in the dining room, chattering and laughing.

"Shoes, Robbie. Jacket, please. Eli, where are your shoes?"

Eli digs his shoes out of his backpack (it's boots weather here in Iowa). He puts them on and gets his jacket, heading out the door without his bag.

"Eli!" I hand the bag to him through the open door and turn to Robbie.

"Robbie! Shoes, buddy!" Robbie drops the Lego creation he's been fiddling with and sits down on the floor to pull on his shoes.

"Mom."

"Sweetie?"

"This pod is really fast." He picks up the Lego creation again. "It's an escape pod and it can get away-"

"Sweetie, let's talk about that when we get back. We need to leave for Tae Kwon Do now. Do you have your bags?"

Robbie lets out an angry sigh and dashes the Lego creation to the ground. Luckily it holds together. He gets his jacket and stomps out the door. I grab his bag and mine.

Once outside, I don' t see the guys. Oh, there they are, playing on the snow heaps in the front yard.

"Guys, time to go," I announce, getting into the car. They look blankly at me and only get in once I've started the engine. I look at the clock. 4:24. Exactly one minute earlier than our usual departure time. I sigh and shake my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey TKD Mom --
I've read with interest your blog. Just this past August (2004), I earned my black belt in TKD at the ripe old age of 38. Yes, it is sometimes intimidating to go up against males, especially teenagers(!), in sparring or flying kicks. But it is also tremendously empowering to know that you can break a board with your hand or foot (by black belt, we broke bricks with our hands).
TKD is not violent or militaristic. Your instructor's analogy of bowing to saluting is rather troubling. Bowing is a sign of respect to the higher belts and also a sign of respect to other students despite facing them in "combat" situations in class.
I applaud your efforts and hope you'll stick with it.
-- KickerChick